What Is Your Data Recovery Plan?
The world is dependent on data and increasingly reliant on its related functions. Data security and recovery have become even more critical than ever before. In the year 2021, the cost for data recovery and breaches went up to the highest level over the last 17 years. Having a proactive approach to data recovery and protecting your data is advisable.
The Basics Of Data Loss
You can lose data due to several reasons. It could be due to someone being clumsy and spilling coffee or tea on the computer or someone intentionally hacking your computer. Data loss means the deletion of information from your computer, which becomes unrecoverable.
What Is Data Loss And How to Recognize It
When the data or information stored in your computer gets corrupted accidentally or intentionally and becomes unrecoverable, it means data loss. Signs to recognize data loss are incredibly subtle, and you need to look out for the following:
- File access slows down
- Getting start-up errors
- Computer hangs or crashes
- Unusual sounds and noises
Common Causes For Data Loss
Some common causes for data loss :
- Human error
- Software corruption
- Data theft and deletion
- Virus infection
- Hardware failure
Types Of Data Loss
- Procedural requirement
- Accidental deletion or overwrite
- File corruption
- Hard drive crash or CPU failure
- Physical damage due to fire, earthquake, theft, or flood
How To Prevent Data Loss
There are several ways in which you can prevent loss of data. Following are some important ways to avoid it:
- Have a security policy
- Take regular backups
- Encryption of sensitive data
- Prohibit food and drink near storage devices and computers
- Use antivirus
- Password protection
- Outsource to an IT company for IT support services
It would be best to recognize early signs of breakdown, overheating, frequent crashes, and slow-functioning hardware. You will usually hear some funny noise like clicking, ticking, or grinding. Also, take note if your applications or files are opening slower.
Prevention is better than cure. Always keep your hardware in a dust-free and clean environment. If you notice your hardware is heating up more than usual, call an engineer to open and clean it. Do not allow food and or beverages near computers and storage devices.
Suspicious Links Or Emails
Phishing attacks are common tactics used by hackers. They will send an email or a link. If you click on the link, it will take you to a fake website that looks legitimate and ask you to fill in personal and banking information.
In the event you open a suspicious email, the hacker could potentially access your computer and hack into sensitive data.
Always take regular backups of your hard disk and storage devices to prevent loss of data. You may also approach an IT solutions company for your needs.
Plan Of Action
In the event you lose your data, then please follow the below guidelines:
- If you have lost data, then avoid writing and saving further information, if possible
- Make sure to close all applications
- If data was accidentally deleted, then you can search for it in the recycle bin
- If you have experienced lost data due to a system crash, then try using the file recovery application
- It is always recommended to run antivirus software to check for virus and clean it
- Call your network specialist; sometimes, the issue is more detrimental than perceived
How To Create A Data Recovery and Backup Plan
The following steps will help you with recovery and backup:
- Evaluate your backup requirement
- Do a complete security audit and understand the vulnerabilities
- Have a backup solution with your IT services company
- Run a mock drill for recovery
- Use cloud backup
Loss of data is a significant concern for companies. Given the increase in online transactions across the spectrum of industries, it is imperative to protect sensitive data on your hardware. It is best advised to outsource your IT and storage needs to a professional IT solutions company and focus on your core business. Want to discuss your data recovery plan? Contact Priority Networks Inc today!